Friday, June 10, 2011

I Corinthians Chapter 8-9 mix/commentary

Good Evening all, ( speaking future followers)

Well it has been another interesting week of neglect, negative thoughts and survival. But I am honestly understanding of that because, I have not opened my Bible in a while so my covering has been damaged to say the least. I am going through a period of self neglect. But I refuse to turn another entry into a pity party, I know what I did and now it is time to keep pressing forward. Honestly for these two chapters I'm not really sure what to write, so I am just going to read over them and let the Lord speak to me. I will say this, I am getting bored with simply summarizing the the passages, it's so school and text book like, hopefully I can come up with some ways to spice things up a bit, to keep it interesting and therefore keep up with my commitment.



*Dramatic reading pause*


Well I've read both chapters a few times, giving some passages more attention than others, and honestly I was stumped at first especially with chapter 9. But I will go in order.

So to mean the basis of chapter 8 was Paul was telling the people of the church to be mindful and respectful of other christians and their walk. Not everyone is in the same place with Christ and it is wrong for those were are more experienced in their faith to tempt those who are new in the faith especially in the area where they are weak. Paul used the example of eating food that is offered to an idol. One believer might have the understanding that just because the food is offered to the idol does not mean that food is harmful, mainly because that idol has no power. But someone who is new to the faith and grew up believing that eating food given to the idol is wrong may not grasp that concept right away. So as an experienced believer it is best to not eat the food out of respect for the new believer. I totally get it.

Now chapter 9 was not so cut and dry for me. Honestly the first portion sounded like Paul was venting about not recieving atleast some accomidation when he visits these towns to preach. He used many metaphors like a farmer eating of his/her own harvest or a milk maid drink from her pail, and I'm guessing he is referring to the fact that his message is not only meant to benefit the listeners but him as well. After that it seems like he is fighting his flesh because he always is refocusing his attention not getting anything for his service. As I think about this more I kind of like this portion because it shows his human side, and even though he was called directly by Christ, it shows he still struggles and goes through the battle flesh vs. spirit, but only the flesh doesn't have the same control it once had. It's encouraging to know that even though spiritual leaders, are who they are, they still face battles that the followers do, just on a different scale.

The scripture that stuck out to me the most was this: " You've all been to the stadium and seen athletes race. Everyone runs, one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally. I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me" ( Msg verses 24-26). This really inspired me to work harder and help me understand that this life does not come easy, it takes hard work and practice just like any skill or sport. Though people are born with natural gifts and abilities they must be developed in order to be used effectively and to their full potential. They can not lie dormant inside, they must be trained. It's almost like that scripture says keep going and keep trying, you can make it. What the enemy says is a lie and you do not need to believe it, he is a deceiver. Keep pressing,fighting,praying, and ( for me) start fasting. It is worth it. This is your training season, use it wisely. Your time has not been wasted. You have to learn how to function in your new body.

Thank you Lord for an example of stepping out on faith.


oh one more thing, I felt led to share with you.

I was watching Joyce Meyer this evening and she did a wonderful illustration that stuck with me. It was about when someone first gets saved,before this moment she had on a torn jacket, the man protraying Jesus came out with a white cloak. "Jesus" took Joyce's torn jacket and put on the new white cloak. This coat was clean but it didnt fit quit right. It was very long and too big. She went on to explain that is how it is when we are new to the faith. But we can allow Jesus to fit our cloak on us so that it fits just right. It's alot of work friends but in the end it will be worth the time and effort.

Until next chapter happy reading

Aleta

No comments:

Post a Comment