Wednesday, July 20, 2011

1 Corinthians Chapter 9 ( Benefits of Giving)

Good evening all :),

I will be honest tonight was another one where I did not really feel like blogging tonight. But Joel Osteen said it best " Don't let a temporary feeling stop you from receiving a permanent blessing." So I had to at least try and do something this evening. I do become weary writing this everyday, but if I can just make it through this evening, I should be ok.


Chapter 9.



Well Paul continues his praises to the Corinthians and acknowledging how far they had come in their journey to know Christ. As I was reading this chapter, I realized it confirmed the conclusion that I came to about the previous chapter. Giving is not about God or the church taking our money but rather sharing the gift God has given us with others so they too can be blessed. Whether we like it or not, sometimes the only way people especially non-believers or new believers, will experience God is through our actions. We can talk,quote scripture, and join every ministry under the sun, but if our faith is not sealed by our actions it is all in vain. I believe that is why Paul said he sent two of his brothers ahead of him to make sure that the church was really ready to give and pour into others as promised. Not only just to save face but literally people's lives may have been dependent on their gifts (verses 3-5). Also we don't give to support God because he CLEARLY does not need, but our gifts provide reward for us in the ends. If we sew few we harvest few, but if we sew generously we harvest generously ( verse 6). It also important to remember to give with a cheerful heart, similar to our love for God. He does not want us to do anything out of obligation but instead do it because we know he loves us, we want to please him and be obedient. He wants this to be a willing relationship in everything we do.


For me I am still learning how to love just because instead of obligation. obedience to me implies obligation, you do it because he/she told me to and I have respect for you. So my question is how to you change that to just, man I love you and I just want to everything I can to make you happy. Another prayer I have for myself is that I wish I could get my head out of tomorrow and just focus and enjoy today. Well that wasn't too bad. But I tell you it gets rough at times, I'm sure it will be worth in in the end :)

No comments:

Post a Comment